This user hasn't shared any biographical information
Posts by andyhot
Leko is a spy from Anand’s camp and he double crossed Kramnik.
ROTFL – and that’s just an excerpt of the comments going on over at chessninja …
Athens Facebook Developer Garage
(live blogging from Athens, Zografou)
Evolution of the Web
Some stats on web, web2.0, adoption, AOL, yahoo, …, googlemaps, youtube
The facebook platform
- Massive ditribution
- Fast experimentation
- Constant changes to policies
php+java official libs (wasn’t official java support dropped???)
FQL – one table per query only (no join), access user, friend, group, group_member, event,event_member, photo, album, photo_tag
FBML – subset of HTML, some custom tags, Mock AJAX… Canvas belongs to you, apart from anything deceitful, you can put anything you want there (ads,..) – but ads like googleads don’t have context info to show related stuff, so???
Anatomy of An Application
- Only one-line status messages can be added to user statuses from apps… bigger ones must be approved from users.
- Now, limit to how many invitation an app can send to friends.
- Presenter (Nikolas Kokkalis) took part to Stanford Facebook class
- Cannot store male/female user info from facebook (for more than 24h), but if we ask users then we can!
- Viral factor f = X*Y*Z, f>1 then Viral growth… For each user, at least one friend accepted invitation (for PerfectMatch, f was 1.4 – they had to rename to Best Match due to … lawyers!)
- They’ve done experiments with the same exact app registered with 5 different names – and it does make A LOT OF DIFFERENCE (name matters)
- Every concept can be made viral … with the right modifications
- Other ways of income (apart from ads) : Virtual currency, virtual objects (VERY popular for teenagers to pay for those), surveys!!! (you ‘sell’ people filling surveys)
- Also, users think your company is more legit if they see ads in your site.
- It is an Art that requires a ton of Science
- Invitation text is terribly important
- Make it social, simple – use viral channels, ab test all
- Viral channels in FB: invitations, notifications, newsfeed, email, profile box, profile action
- Knowledge gap (we know the perfect match, do YOU know it? there’s a message for you, do YOU want to see it?)
- Modify a channel, gather data, analyze results (& restart)
- but… changing a channel can be time consuming, measuring + analyzing results difficult (reference to their http://viraltuning.com/ but not much info there yet)
… developed by greeks
- Greek Namedays
There’s an updated archetype for Tapestry-4.1.6-SNAPSHOT over at (the well known snapshot repo)
All the hard work was done by Ulrich Stärk, so big thanks to him
For the record, here’s how to quickly generate a Tapestry project
mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry \ -DarchetypeArtifactId=tapestry-archetype \ -DarchetypeVersion=4.1.6-SNAPSHOT -DgroupId=org.example -DartifactId=myapp \ -DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
15 Years ago – a sprite editor in assembly
Looks like X86 Turns 30 Years Old. So, here’s a screenshot of a Sprite Editor I did 15 years ago (!) written in 8086 assembly (using debug.com as an … assembler).
Of course, there’s a story behind this program… We (me, brother, parents) were on vacation at Pilio and we went to Volos to meet some friends. After walking in the town for a while, we found a park and started playing football. Then, out of nowhere a dog came and tried to bite the ball – causing it to deflate!!@$!@#$
Then the owner of the dog started swearing at us, and to cut a long story short… lots of negative feelings generated that day.
That’s how I came up with the idea of creating a computer game (named as “Kill The Dog”)
That’s why I needed to do graphics for it
And that’s why this sprite editor was done.
It’s a well written article that manages to cover many of the new features introduced in Tapestry. It goes through:
- Setting up a Tapestry application
- Creating a page and a component
- Using the awesome Grid component for easy display of your data
- Using BeanEditForm for one-line pojo editing!!!
- Ajax and ajax components
So, go ahead and read it.
And now, moving on to the exclusive content of this entry…During my last trip to Germany (Emi and I were supposed to fly for Dubai, but we ended up in Frankfurt – that is another story) i got to meet the two authors of this article, Renat Zubairov and Igor Drobiazko.
So, here’s a photo of the three of us drinking beer:
- it wasn’t going to be as difficult as i thought it would – but at the same time, it wouldn’t be rewarding either (perhaps that’s a … greek thing)
- it was easy to make out the best students and see their hard work
- i met a few geniuses that seemed to … just grasp things without much effort and also seemed to just … never study
Everyone loves GoogleDocs
… and here’s another testimony from a Slashdot user:
I love Google Docs. When I had to kick my three-timing wife to the curb we used a google spreadsheet to collect data about our assets, debts, insurance policies, etc. for the property settlement phase of our divorce — and another to track child expenses for our shared custody arrangement. It’s awesome. I didn’t have to interact with her anymore than was strictly necessary. Thank you, Google.
Patching maven-surefire-plugin… yet again!
Why DZone’s cross-promotional footer sucks